Winter Car Safety
For many of us, winter means snow, sleet, and icy road conditions. It’s a perfect time to stay home and snuggle by the fire. If you must travel out in bad weather, however, be sure you and your car are prepared for a winter emergency. Get your vehicle tuned up, keep the gas tank full, and be sure you have the following in your car.
- Cell phone and charger
- Reflective triangles or flares
- Spare tire, wheel wrench, and a jack
- Jumper cables
- Tool kit
- Ice scraper and brush
- Bag of salt, sand, or cat litter for traction
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit – be sure to include medications and baby items (formula, diapers, etc.) if needed.
- Exterior windshield cleaner
- Extra clothes – hats, gloves, coats, boots
- Blankets or sleeping bag to keep warm inside the vehicle
- Non-perishable, high-energy foods like energy bars, candy bars, dried fruits, and nuts.
Remember, if you are stranded, put on your flashers, call for help, and stay in your car until help arrives. If I missed something in the above list, please leave a comment and let me know.
Stay safe out there!
Author and martial arts instructor